Home > IAPSP > About IAPSP
IAPSP Early Career Professional Scholarship Program
The International Association for Psychoanalytic Self Psychology (IAPSP) is pleased to announce the third year of our Early Career Professionals scholarship program. This program offers opportunities to individuals in psychoanalytic/psychotherapy training, graduate programs (such as Psychology, Psychiatry, Social Work, Counseling, Psychiatric Nursing, and other mental health disciplines), and to those who have completed graduate school or a post-graduate training program within the last 5 years. Applicants should have a strong interest in Self Psychology and Intersubjective Systems Theory and wish to learn more about these psychoanalytic/psychotherapeutic theories and to participate in their advancement and proliferation.
Selected Early Career Professionals will be awarded:
- complimentary registration at an IAPSP annual conference;*
- $750.00 for expenses related to attending the conference;
- a 1-year subscription to IAPSP's Journal, (newly named) Psychoanalysis, Self and Context;
- Complimentary meetings (via phone or Skype) with an experienced IAPSP member during their scholarship year;
- Early Career Professionals will become members of IAPSP for that scholarship year and will be entitled to participate in all "members only" activities.
* Selected Early Career Professionals must attend the IAPSP conference.
Submission guidelines: Send a brief statement (maximum one-page single spaced) describing your interest in pursuing further studies in Self Psychology. Pertinent graduate level coursework, conferences, or workshops attended, and/or books or papers read are all relevant. Please attach a Curriculum Vitae. Two letters of recommendation, to be sent separately, are also required.
References are important in helping us determine which of our applicants best reflect the goals of the IAPSP Early Career Professionals award. A strong letter will contain detailed information about your strengths as a person and clinician, as well as information about how you have faced particular personal and/or professional challenges. It is strongly recommended you discuss the following with those you chose to write your reference:
- How has the writer of your reference seen you develop as a psychoanalytic clinician? How does she or he see you contributing to Self Psychology and Intersubjective Theory?
- How do you deal with challenges? Can your reference give an example of the way you've dealt with a particular struggle?
- What have you done to warrant receiving this award? Examples may include particular work with a patient, writing that sheds new light on a problem or contributions to a specific community, etc.
- Your reference writer should also describe you personally: What has been unique to your relationship? Are there specific incidents or actions that give insight into your relationship?
HOW TO APPLY:
Please send your materials to . Please indicate "ECP Application" in the subject line of the e-mail. Reference letters should be sent directly to the same address with the applicant's name in the subject line of the e-mail.
Start date for receiving application is January 1st, 2018, and all applications must be received by April 1st, 2018.
The announcement of winners will be May 1st, 2018.
IAPSP Members' WebsitesLooking for a therapist with a self-psychological approach in your area?
Click here for our list of members' links.
IAPSP Clinical Consultations & Video ArchivesFull length videos available exclusively for members.
Click here for more information.
Join our mailing list
Journal Bloc SubscriptionsAs a member benefit, we are pleased to announce the offering of psychoanalytic journals at bloc subscription prices.
Click here for details.